Cob: Re: sawdust/clay/lime (was: Clay & Bool walls)

Great Spirit Software gspirit at trailnet.com
Thu Jul 27 11:44:21 CDT 2000

> Also papercrete can be plastered over with cob and rocks, thus making a fast
> built wall which can be poured ( the papercrete part), once fairly dry, plaster
> that puppy with clay/cob.   I like the IDEA of papercrete.. but you are not
> limited to just paper..I use sawdust, clay and lime to make "cobwood" a pourable,
> sculptable mix. more earth friendly, ssaawdust is plentiful here locally, and
> lime stabilizes the clay, makes a natural cement
>
> Goes up fast, can be shaped, dries faster, and uses no cement. tada!  Almost free
> and easy to do.

Hey Charmaine,

Just out of curiosity, how strong is that sawdust/clay/lime mixture? Any suggestions as to ratios? (I know, like all earth mixtures,
experiment!) I generate BAGS of sawdust every week -- it's amazing how much a sawdust a planer and jointer will generate! -- and
aside from using it in the outhouse (mixed with lime, it does a great job of absorbing moisture and odors), I'm always interested in
finding new building materials.

Chris