Cob: re:rope making fibers

Howard Switzer ecoarchitech at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 6 15:01:56 CDT 2000

> Shannon C. Dealy  wrote:
>
> > While I would assume that hemp would make great cob (it certainly will
> > meet the length and strength tests), there is still the question of
> > how well the sand and clay will be able to grip it.
>
> Rosemary wrote:
>
> Assuming that it works well, how does one get around the problem of it
being
> mistaken for a prohibited substnace?

Rosemary, Shannon et al,

I would think hemp would make an excellent reinforcing fiber based on a
couple of simple observations. First of all hemp fiber is very absorbent as
well as being very "toothy" making it quite obvious that it would bond
extremely well with clay. In that regard straw is the one more likely to be
at issue with bonding to clay due to its relatively hard, slick structure
and low absorption. Secondly, hemp fiber is widely known to be quite rot
resistant, another potential concern. As for its prohibition, that is a
political matter, and politics, I've been warned, is not to be brought to
this list. This despite the fact that building preindustrial earthen
structures and disseminating information about how to build them in the face
of a virtual state/industrial monopolization is in itself a radical
political act.

The question of hemp making a good reinforcing fiber for earthen
construction is even being tested, at least empirically. I've heard of a
hemp reinforced earthen building that has been or is being built on the Pine
Ridge Reservation. I'm surprised that nothing, to the best of my knowledge,
has ever been mentioned about it on this list . After my inadvertent posting
of a couple of articles of a political nature to the list, and the
aforementioned issue, I'm beginning to wonder if this list imagines itself
to be apolitical. We have had considerable off topic postings in the past, I
remember an extensive discussion about composting toilets, but apparently
mentioning a candidate for president who would advocate broad regulatory
reform allowing freedom from the impositions of officialdumb we labor under
in many areas, are not "appropriate." The only comment I got back from the
list on my political postings was one rather rude note asking, "do we have
to listen to this crap?" and additionally to keep my "personal opinions" to
myself.

Still, I must say I am curious where those who advocate building earth
friendly non-industrial buildings stand on the political question of who to
vote for and Ralph Nader's candidacy. I get the feeling that many of you
believe that politics is "crap" unworthy of any comment.

howard

Those who think politics has nothing to do with spirituality,
or that spirituality has nothing to do with politics,
know nothing about spirituality."
                                                Mahatma Gandhi