Cob: Re: Earthquake country blues!

Prof Joel joel at csus.edu
Tue Aug 22 11:26:47 CDT 2000

Hi
	I love your saying at the bottom. As a neophyte cobber but someone who knows a bit of engineering, here is my thought:
	No matter what else you do, don't build your cob house on a stacked rock foundation in Southern California. This is a wonderful foundation for certain non seismic regions, or for outbuildings. I live in Northern California where there is very little seismic activity, but I would not use a non-reinforced rock footing here. Shifting of the rocks can remove the foundation under certain parts of the wall, possibly with disastrous results. Make it a continuous footing of reinforced (gulp) concrete, or something that will not go away when (not if) it gets shaken.
	As to how cob holds up to earthquakes, no real tests have been conducted that I know of, but there is historical evidence that a properly designed and built cob structure can perform very well. The foundation, roof and roof attachment are probably the places that need more design attention than the cob, assuming it is "good cob". The bigger it is the more careful you must be. Cob gets a lot of strength from the curves and its monolithic shape. Long straight walls that are common in "mansions" are scary. Plan well in EQ country. But you need to do this with any type of construction.
	As you say, the best way to find out is to pee on it.

good luck, and don't get scared away,

joel