Cob: Re: Insulation

Sarah Kopp kopp at kinneret.co.il
Fri Aug 25 01:01:09 CDT 2000

Hi Russel,

I am prejudiced towards strawbales for their insulative value, also the
ability to build up a really thick wall quickly (I think thick is
beautiful!)  But am attracted to cob also for it's sculptural potential etc,
as you are.  I am building a strawbale house and my interior walls are wood
frame and sheetrock due to time and money constraints, but in my mind the
perfect house would be exterior walls of straw with earth plaster inside and
out, a coat of lime plaster on the exterior, and interior walls of adobe and
cob.  That way we would get all the insulating value of the strawbales, plus
the thermal mass properties of earth inside, where it counts, and the
partition walls would have the same curvy handmade quality of the exterior
walls.

The earth plastered strawbales are also very sculptural in quality - there
are no really straight or square looking walls in my house (except the
partitions, of course.)  I sculpted small and large niches into a few walls,
it is easy to do with straw.  My kitchen's exterior wall is built out in a
bay shape but could just as easily have been curved. If you use a really
high content of chaff or even 4-6 cms lengths of straw in your earth
plaster, you can sculpt even very thick details on the wall surface - like
built up door and window framing or even bas relief pictures on the walls.
I am under a lot of time constraints and have not done this (yet!) on my
house but my small experience with the earth plaster shows it is definitely
possible.

I would guess that in Manitoba you want the insulation and you can still do
a lot of creative personalizing of your house with the wall surfaces and
partition walls.

Sarah
Tsfat, Israel