Cob: Re Regulations

Russel Johnsen wpgweb at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 27 09:54:57 CDT 2000

Yes.  I understand the reason for bulding codes.
There are many countries with poor building codes and
people suffer because of that.

When a company here does not follow code we usually
have recourse.

Codes seem not to be so stringent as we go into the
country but, because of big business have more and
more influence on the farm codes and regulations are
getting stronger.  Codes are basically to protect.

But isn't it funny how big business influences code
and regulation.  We see it all the time in the
chemical business, the business of genetics etc. Big
money protects itself by influencing code.  It takes a
long time for the regular guy to get codes to protect
himself.

The bulding codes are very complex and are being more
and more influenced by big business.  They also
reflect what people 'normally' want in a home.  This
in itself is good for big business because if fits
well with mass selling and huge profits.

It is hard to get good coding for small sell,
inexpensive ideas like cob and straw.  Log cabins have
gotten their codes because they sell well to the
monied and have become big business.  The wilderness
cabin of the 60s sure has changed and is not big
budget.

What will happen with cob and straw bale?  It sure
would be nice to have some idea of what is the best
way to go with them but at the same time not be bound
by too much code.

RC

=====
MistyMorning Designs