Cob: Cob in colder climates

Patricia L. MacKenzie ruanmackenzie at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 27 13:50:38 CDT 2000

>From: "pat at cobworks" <pat at cobworks.com>
>To: <coblist at deatech.com>
>Subject: Cob: Cob in colder climates
>Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 07:24:03 -0700
>
>Hello everybody;
>         I have been getting a lot of questions about cob in the cold and
>have a few thoughts on the matter.  Let me start with the foundation.  Even
>in a more moderate climate  you get a lot of cold coming through the stone
>foundation.  I would like to suggest a flexible thin plywood form that
>could move around the inside of your foundation.  This could be packed with
>light clay.  It would provide a thermal break and a nice straight wall to
>begin cobbing up from.  For a house design in the cold, how about an inner
>circle for bedrooms, kitchen and general living area.  Around this could be
>an outer circle with closets, food storage, pantry, bootroom and any other
>spaces that don't need to be kept really warm.  There would be inner and
>outer windows and skylights to let light in.  This outer layer would be
>your insulation.  Happy cobbing all.
>                                                     Patrick on Mayne
Dear Pat:

It does sound as if there is more experience with cold stone foundations on
your part. Aside from the other types of barrier protection of a non-organic
nature, what about lowering the floor and attached walls several inches
below the cold line of frost?
Does this have an impact or effect on cold infiltration usually demonstrated
by moisture or long term, mold mildew growth?
P.
ruanmackenzie at hotmail.com