Cob: Cob in colder climates

pat@cobworks pat at cobworks.com
Sun Aug 27 09:24:03 CDT 2000

Hello everybody;
        I have been getting a lot of questions about cob in the cold and have a few thoughts on the matter.  Let me start with the foundation.  Even in a more moderate climate  you get a lot of cold coming through the stone foundation.  I would like to suggest a flexible thin plywood form that could move around the inside of your foundation.  This could be packed with light clay.  It would provide a thermal break and a nice straight wall to begin cobbing up from.  For a house design in the cold, how about an inner circle for bedrooms, kitchen and general living area.  Around this could be an outer circle with closets, food storage, pantry, bootroom and any other spaces that don't need to be kept really warm.  There would be inner and outer windows and skylights to let light in.  This outer layer would be your insulation.  Happy cobbing all.
                                                    Patrick on Mayne