Cob: misprint & codes

Charmaine R Taylor tms at northcoast.com
Sun Aug 27 12:02:49 CDT 2000

John Fordice wrote: Building codes exist as a response to a history of inadequate
construction.

I want to back up all of John's comments with recent personal experience. I
bought an old fixer-upper, great price, good "recycle & reuse" possibility, solid
redwood construction overall...but...over the last 50 years people added on
rooms...and they did it haphazardly...old boards were reused, which is OK, but no
straight structural rafters were used, not one 8' length of 2x4 anywhere...holes
cut for pipes with no metal support nailed over, 2x4s used instead of 2x6 or
4x6..on and on...some "handyman" did the best he could, or did it fast, or had no
money to buy the extra wood, so here I am 45 years laters facing a rebuild- tear
down to studs, patch up, make do, etc.

Other friends with much much newer houses are finding wiring not to code, uneven
floors, on and on...any of these can be safety issues. So I am glad for the
codes...and the wisdom of a 30 year experienced carpenter/electrician to guide
me.  I see short cuts I want to make..due to ignorance..and my anxiousness to get
done before the rainy season...thank God he slows me down and says, nope we gotta
do it this way & here's why. My need to build for free and/or totally cheap is
very possible, but I have learned we do have to follow the codes too.

just ranting...

Charmaine Taylor