Cob: misprint & codes

Patricia L. MacKenzie ruanmackenzie at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 27 13:10:19 CDT 2000

>From: Charmaine R Taylor <tms at northcoast.com>
>To: John Fordice <otherfish at home.com>
>CC: coblist at deatech.com
>Subject: Re: Cob: misprint & codes
>Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 10:02:49 -0700
>

>John Fordice wrote: Building codes exist as a response to a history of
>inadequate
>construction.
>
>I want to back up all of John's comments with recent personal experience. I
>bought an old fixer-upper, great price, good "recycle & reuse" possibility,
>solid
>redwood construction overall...but...over the last 50 years people added on
>rooms...and they did it haphazardly...old boards were reused, which is OK,
>but no
>straight structural rafters were used, not one 8' length of 2x4
>anywhere...holes
>cut for pipes with no metal support nailed over, 2x4s used instead of 2x6
>or
>4x6..on and on...some "handyman" did the best he could, or did it fast, or
>had no
>money to buy the extra wood, so here I am 45 years laters facing a rebuild-
>tear
>down to studs, patch up, make do, etc.
>
>Other friends with much much newer houses are finding wiring not to code,
>uneven
>floors, on and on...any of these can be safety issues. So I am glad for the
>codes...and the wisdom of a 30 year experienced carpenter/electrician to
>guide
>me.  I see short cuts I want to make..due to ignorance..and my anxiousness
>to get
>done before the rainy season...thank God he slows me down and says, nope we
>gotta
>do it this way & here's why. My need to build for free and/or totally cheap
>is
>very possible, but I have learned we do have to follow the codes too.
>
>just ranting...
>
>Charmaine Taylor

Dear Charmaine:

I sold a house I would not have renovated had I been able to keep it the way
I wanted to - they are usually quirky and sold that way as a marketing
technique. "Rustic" is a phrase that comes to mind. Someday when I have time
I will rant and rave about homogeneity and tract housing.......Hang in
there, it's worth the satisfaction when done but boy is it annoying. It's
why I'm going to push code people when I get the chance - I want solar and
it usually isn't done here.
P.
ruanmackenzie at hotmail.com