Cob: Alternative recipe 4 Cob Sinks & Tubs

crtaylor tms at northcoast.com
Tue Sep 19 11:22:41 CDT 2000

I don't know about making sinks and tubs of cob, but there is a slightly
different material that can be used, in fact a couple different ways to do
it.

The material is called hyoertufa..or Tufastone, and it is literally hand
made stone.  The English begain using old limestone sinks and water troughs
to plant alpine plants in, and when they ran out of them some guy invented
this stuff.

it is a mix of miled peat moss, sand and (horrors) portland cement. I tried
this mix, and made several small pots and containers, but it is used to
make full bird baths, large urns, stone garden benches, big box
planters..you get the idea.

Anyway the basic mix is 1.5 peat moss, 1.5 sand to 1 cement, mix well dry,
add a bit of water to firm texture, then  use a mold, like a large trash
can lid, and cover with plastic, then shape and pat the material IN or OVER
the mold, and let dry.  I am making a Japanese stone lantern ( $500 to buy)
and several other items, and wanted to do an outdoor basin for a
waterfall/pond.
tyfastone looks like old weathered limestone, and I love the look.

Do a web search for HyperTufa there are several sites which explain this.

Also I substituted lime for cement, and used shredded paper instead of peat
moss, and got a much finer textured  feel to the bowl.  Thinging that paper
wont do well in water, I am letting the whole thing sit out all winter to
see, so far in rai it is fine holding water!

Charmaine Taylor
www.dirtcheapbuilder.com

Charmaine R. Taylor
Taylor Publishing