Cob: cob on interior of wood structure

Rain Drop rainbo at rochester.rr.com
Thu Oct 12 16:11:29 CDT 2000

Hi, here's the situation, old carriage house, first four ft. of wall are
stone, the
rest is wood, the wood that covers the frame, exterior. The beams for
frame are
protrude approx. 4 inches,the stone wall protrudes approx., 7-10 inches.
I want
to fill in the space between the frame and wood, wood and stone, with
cob.
Having helped a very little bit with someone who put cob inside his
house, I know
how much work this will be. No problem, we have more time to cob than we

do money for drywall. The plan is to sell this farmhouse and build a
straw bale
cob hybrid out on the back of the land. Good news!!!!! I talked to the
building
inspector and he said "Get me the plan, stamped by a NYS certified
architect.",
More good news!! Found an architect close by who has a great passion for

sustainable architecture, although she has not yet had the opportunity
to do this
type of design she feels fortunate and excited to have the chance. Hey,
perhaps
this will give exposure to people in this area and open up a few minds.
Exactly what
most of you have done! Anyway, given the fact that we want to stick to a
low
budget ( No Mortgage  YIPEEEEEEE ), we want this stick frame to look as
good as possible before we put it on the market. The carriage house
being done
will be a plus and everything we can do for little cost to make the sale
more
profitable the better.  So, if anyone is still reading, lol, the
question is can I put
up a cob wall on top of a stone wall,up over the wood wall. We will be
putting
plaster over the cob (interior) the wood wall is not exactly airtight,
old, planks,
has vinyl siding outside (YUCK). One more question, I am making
arrangements
for the perc tests and I am wondering if I really have to do that ? What
would
I need a perc test for if we are planning on have a composting toilet
and
a kick***  gray water system?
Thanks to all who took the time to read this LONG post and to all who
reply!
Chantelle
                          quote " Having no mortgage and three children
                                      can make one feel YOUNG again!! "

Myself

he he he