Cob: Re: Posts embedded in cob

Shawn Honeychurch ironfire at cyberlink.bc.ca
Wed Nov 1 06:03:20 CST 2000

RE: Posts embedded in cobHi Will
Thanks for your thoughts.  We really want to go with the post and beam design, because it will be easier for us to get a building permit.  With your staw-clay idea, how dense would you pack it into the forms, do you think?  And could we still cob over the posts?  Would cob on a straight straw-clay be any stronger than a straight cob wall?  I worry about it wanting to fall over, being lighter weight and all.  The idea of building faster and improved insulation value with this method is, of course, appealing, but do you think there is a greater risk of having bug problems in a straw-clay wall than a cob wall?

I am not inclined to building with straw bales as I have heard too many stories of problems with bugs and rot.  Am I being paranoid as we live in a semi-arid climate here?

Thanks for your input.
Robynn