Cob: RE: RE: Posts embedded in cob

Firstbrook, Will wfirstb1 at wcb.bc.ca
Fri Nov 3 16:23:42 CST 2000

Hi Jay,

Lots of good questions here!

There may be a benefit for a damp proof course but I haven't seen any cob
houses that have used one. I totally agree with Shannon's reply to my
posting. Each structure will have slightly different requirements based on
location i.e. hot, cold, wet, dry, flat, hill, ground composition,
absorption etc.  Also the desires & constraints of the builder and/or owner.

Virtually all structures need dry foundations so if the ground is damp due
to continuous rain it must be addressed in the design and some reasonable
option need to be considered and taken. Personally I would look at a method
of diverting any water accumulation away from under the structure, so rising
dampness is not a problem. The French trench foundation may be one option.
The best solution depends on the situation & resources you have available.

I installed hydronic plastic tubes under my earthen floor. Haven't hooked it
up yet but the potential is there.

Note that cob is not great insulation so in a really cold climate it my not
be the best option. However if built with an integrated masonry heater it
can be very comfortable as the high thermal mass of cob holds the
temperature for long periods of time. Ideally the insulative layer would be
applied to the exterior. There has been many discussions on this list
regarding options. However all of them seem to have some drawbacks.

The walls can indeed be built strong enough to support a two story building.
Some builders have found that it is best to include embedded wooden plates
for the beams to sit upon so the weight of the floor and/or ceiling is
better distributed in the cob. This reduces or eliminates cracking by
distributing the weight better.

Regards,
Will