Cob: Re: Posts embedded in cob

Shannon C. Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Fri Nov 3 22:00:33 CST 2000

On Thu, 2 Nov 2000, Shawn Honeychurch wrote:

> Hey, this is great to know!
> Where we are there is rarely ever a hard rain.  With large overhangs and
> proper gutters and drainage around the perimeter of the house, I could
> probably get away with a 1 foot foundation (above ground), then.  I am still

This would certainly help greatly, though you will still get some splash
from rain hitting the ground nearby.  In any case, you could
also/alternatively provide some exterior covering for the lower couple
feet of the wall or just apply a coating of plaster (cob or other
types) every few years to replace any cob that errodes away.

> wondering about how to make a water proof  barrier between cob and
> foundation if the foundation needs to be rough to stick to the cob.  If we
> laid plastic on the top of a stone and mortar foundation, do you think this
> would do the trick?  Would the cob still stick to that?
> Robynn

It is important to remember that water moves very slowly through a cement
foundation, and even slower through a rock one.  In most if not all cases,
if you have proper drainage around your foundation, I would expect that
the cob should have no problem wicking the moisture away from the top of
the foundation and eventually evaporating it off the surface of the wall.