Cob: Re: Cob sticking to the foundation

Frances Grill grill at vtc.net
Sun Nov 5 07:10:34 CST 2000

Greetings, Concerning the discussion of  cob wall bonding or not bonding to it's footings;, not being a cob builder, it seems to me that central to the issue is that if the cob bonds to the footer, you will reduce the opportunity for water to pass through the water channel . For example in conventional construction the          bond between  a basement wall and footing takes place because of the bond between two like materials which helps to prevent seepage from the pooled water at the  foundation.It would seem plastic between footer and wall would enhance the ability of water to enter the building...regardless of how much the wall weighs. It seems that two variables that need attention are 1) how monolithic can you make the structure and 2) how well can you keep water away from the foundation in the first place...or at least between the join between the wall and the footer. That's my two cents worth. Good luck