Cob: Re: Re: Cob sticking to the foundation

Christopher Greenslade Chris at vicgreen.fsbusiness.co.uk
Mon Nov 6 13:20:43 CST 2000

Traditional cob will always naturally adhere to lime stone plinths / foundations.
I have not come across any cob properties here in England that have had any problems within this area. As long as the cob is applied to horizontal or stepped plinths / foundations downward forces should only apply.
It should be remembered that the cob should be plumb, or cut back when dry to rectify any bulging etc.In no way should mass cob / blocks be laid on smooth slopes, whether repairs to cob or on plinths.
Best regards

Chris Greenslade