Cob: Thermal Values of Cob

Louis louis at sisp.net
Mon Nov 6 11:49:11 CST 2000

Hi cw;
I dug into the archives again [using Google] and found this interesting
post from 5 years ago--Louis

From: SIMON RANDELL <SARSR at cardiff.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 1995 12:11:38 GMT
Subject: Re: The thermal insulation of cobs in mud

[snipped]

For anybody interested) I recently conducted a thermal heat transfer and
thermography test on a cob cottage here in the UK (we have 40,000
structures in the SW). The result: U'Value - 1.0 W/m2degC density - 1860
kg/m3 test duration - 29 days Density obviously had a huge effect and so
did the heating source. Moisture content unobtainable due to metals in the
mix giving inaccurate reading. Anyway, not bad for 170 year old building!