Cob: Book on Australian Cob houses

Charmaine R Taylor tms at northcoast.com
Tue Nov 7 21:03:21 CST 2000

Hello to all,

Back in the 70s Ted Howard, an Australian, traveled over the country
documenting all the earth and cob houses..everything standing or fallen
was photographed and recorded in his book "Mud & Man" a history of earth
buildings in Australasia

You can get in touch with him to buy his hardbound photo book. Both me
and Cob Cottage CO have copies of this wonderful book, cost is $40 from
me, $45 at CCC. In the USA

Ted still sells them I belive but only 1,000 were ever produced. I will
locate his address for you and post it privately.

. Most photos are b/w and one in color I have on my web site under
Cob...or just click on http://www.northcoast.com/~tms/bearscastle.jpg to
see this 4 turreted cob castle built in the  1800s for John Bear, a
local business magnate.  Many of the photos show houses with seagull
swooping type roofs and very organic floorplans-built in the 2960's.

hope this gives you encouragement to build with cob, there is long
history of it in Australia

Charmaine  Taylor/ Taylor Publishing
PO Box 6985, Eureka CA 95502
707-441-1632