Cob: Re: Re: cob bench heater

John Schinnerer johns at eco-living.net
Mon Dec 11 15:14:30 CST 2000

Aloha,

> Are you going to give us picture or a diagram of this great seat? I guess
> the indigenous people of Siberia built them ages ago.

Nope, didn't have a camera along.  It's really just a super-size version of
the smaller cottage cob bench heaters.  Six or more feet long, couch-shaped
(e.g. a bench shelf at 2.5-3 ft. height and then a backrest behind that).
I don't know exactly how the stovepipe runs through it.  At the least, it
goes down the length of it and back, since the rocket stove and chimney to
the outside are at the same end.

I could imagine building one without the need for modern metal stovepipe,
using ceramic flues, tiles, bricks, etc. - or just shaping the passages
through the material as it was built.

John Schinnerer
- Eco-Living -
Cultural & Ecological Designing