Cob: Re: bench heater

Elke Cole elkec at island.net
Wed Dec 13 11:18:59 CST 2000

Kaj,
I have built a small fireplace out of cob in the past. It stood up to the
fire ok, but was damaged seriously by bumping into the walls with the
firewood. The surface of the wall just wasn't hard enough. Now we use
firebrick in areas that easily get damaged.
Also I have a cob wall that stood through a house fire with only surface
damage.
When you build yours make sure you use a fine clay/sand mix on the inner
surface, like for an oven.  If there's straw it'll burn out and your surface
is broken. Let us know how it works!
Best wishes
Elke Cole

presenting
Natural Builders Colloquium on Vancouver Island, BC
April 26- May 2, 2001
Check http//: www.cobworks.com for details