Cob: re:bench heater

kajchr kajchr at post10.tele.dk
Fri Dec 15 05:10:58 CST 2000

There have been many interesting comments on my entry on building a
bench-heater with "Totally Cob" - and here is my conclusion.
I have learned a few do´s and don´t s on the subject - and my little model
cob oven is almost dry enough to be put inside the masonry heater where
temperatures of around 1000 Celsius are reached - so I´ll soon know if it
can take the heat...
I still think it´s a good idea to build a full-size heater - any kind of
experiment can cost the extra labour of having to break down and rebuild
but that´s OK - otherwise how will I ever know? It shouldn´t be too much of
a problem to make room for retrofitting the inside with firebrick IF
NECESSARY after some time.
  Of course I realise that I am new to the cob-building, but cob isn´t and
the basics seem simple enough - and I must say that I am amazed by the many
beautiful houses and ovens i have seen on the internet these last few days
of "Cybercobsurfing"
Kaj, Denmark