Cob: Re: bench heater

John Schinnerer johns at eco-living.net
Thu Dec 14 16:01:07 CST 2000

Aloha,

From: kajchr <kajchr at post10.tele.dk>
> My question here is: I would like to try building the
> combustion chamber itself in cob - if it can take the heat it´s very
> low-cost, and I like that. I wonder if anyone else has tried that? How
much
> heat can cob take before it goes to pieces?

What sort of temperatures do these combustion chambers reach?

Cob ovens are typically fired to upwards of 600 deg. F.  The inner layer is
a clay/sand mix, no straw, in order to take the heat.

Using firebrick to line the cob combustion chamber (as is done with the
metal ones) would presumably help...?

And...does anyone have a source for instructions/plans/etc. to make the
metal-drum versions of these stoves, like the ones already built in various
cob cottages here and there?

John Schinnerer, MA
- Eco-Living -
Cultural & Ecological Designing