Cob: Re: chopping straw and now building codes

House Achilleus akilles at primary.net
Tue Dec 19 09:16:18 CST 2000

Regarding building codes,

Missouri, where I live does not have state-wide building codes.  In
fact,  I was researching this a few weeks ago and found that residential
building codes are not allowed in "third-class" counties--counties that
are low income and/or low population.  My parents built their home in
one such county because of the low population.  They said one could put
a tipi on the land and no one would care as long as your septic and well
were done properly.  This is great for owner-builders like cobbers who
are interested in alternative building methods.  The down side is that
many of the people who put up their own houses in these areas are not
educated in safe or proper building techniques of any kind.  The result
can be seen driving down any county road.  But, a lot of this land is
absolutely beautiful, much of it in ozark country.  My parents have been
successful with their gardening and livestock.  So, these areas could be
ideal for some people.