Cob: cob in the arctic/Scotland

Charmaine R Taylor tms at northcoast.com
Tue Jan 2 18:40:29 CST 2001

Well, I think you have to be able to access the earth (dig it up) to
make cob in the first place. And with frozen dirt I wouldn't think you
could get very far. too labor intensive.

that being said I DO know in the Orkney isls, Outer Hebrides, etc. and
way above Scotland...similar latitude that they simply rammed a 2 foot
thick wall of  available soil between stones. Then laid a thick thatch
roof over that..no windows, one door, and a courtyard design to keep the
howling winds out. Animals provided heat..and yea, it was fragrent, dark
and warm.   these were called "Black Houses" owing to the soot
collecting on the inside from the peat fires, blackening all inside.

cheery eh?     I think they build igloos in the arctic :)

Charmaine  Taylor/ Taylor Publishing
PO Box 6985, Eureka CA 95502
707-441-1632
www.dirtcheapbuilder.com