Cob: RE: Cob sauna?

Firstbrook, Will wfirstb1 at wcb.bc.ca
Mon Jan 8 14:08:36 CST 2001

Hi Anthea,

The following is a picture of Vernon's cob sauna that had a small wood stove
inside. He used boiled linseed oil on the outside to help protect the
exterior from the elements. He used the waddle and daub technique to make
the dome. Inside the center is dugout so it has a built in bench. He made it
so he can remove the woodstove easily and use heated rocks instead for the
heat source.

I'm not sure how it has held up over the years. For me it was dark and
claustrophobic, but intriguing. There was some discussion about this on the
coblist about 3 years ago. The photo was taken about 2 years ago.

Regards,
Will

http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Canopy/7148/vern1.jpg