Cob: Ceramic houses, cob saunas and kilns

ben graham benfrankg at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 22 16:07:34 CST 2001

<P>I have done some research and experimenting on this subject.  Basic kiln design books are useful as well as Khalili's Ceramic Arch book.</P>
<P>Cob as a construction method does not go well with kiln making because they are typically constructed as vaults or domes.  The brick is the logical building block and shrinkage is always an issue.  The other big issue is the composition of the brick.  The specific clay and other ingredients become a lot more important than building your house.  There is a great article in Ceramic Monthly Dec 1989 on how to make a simple updraft kiln.  There is a scuptor named Wali Hawes who has been making these kilns(site fired kilns constructed of unfired clay brick) since 1987 and there is a description and some pictures in a book called Kiln Building by Ian Gregory isbn # 1-889250-02-3.</P>
<P>Making one of these structures is not at all impossible with some understanding of masonry and firing.  It all depends how useful of a kiln you want to create and how high you want to fire.  Under1000 deg. you can use common brick type clay.(there's lot of old used brick around) Over this and you get into refractory materials.  The high insultion kiln bricks are a mixture of kaolin, fireclay and alumina with air or organic matter mixed into a slip and cast to give almost a sponge like brick.</P>
<P>Does anyone into this idea live near VT?</P>
<P>Best</P>
<P>Ben Graham</P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>From: DWells2530 at aol.com
<DIV></DIV>>Reply-To: DWells2530 at aol.com
<DIV></DIV>>To: jlsmeed at yahoo.com, coblist at deatech.com
<DIV></DIV>>Subject: Re: Cob: Ceramic houses, cob saunas and kilns
<DIV></DIV>>Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 11:07:36 EST
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>Hi Jeff and all,
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>> > I'm also an avid potter and enjoy throwing and firing.
<DIV></DIV>> > I'd like to know if it'd be possible to build a wood
<DIV></DIV>> > fired kiln out of cob?
<DIV></DIV>> > >>>>>>>>.
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>I am also interested in any information regarding a cobmade kiln that
<DIV></DIV>>actually would work.I saw one in Mexico yesterday that was constructed of
<DIV></DIV>>adobelike bricks and mud plastering and thought that it could be adapted to a
<DIV></DIV>>potters needs possibly. These big kilns dont seem to reach the cone temps
<DIV></DIV>>however that make good hard claymade objects.The Mexican pottery is porous
<DIV></DIV>>and soft.
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>Don Wells
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>There are three kinds of men. The ones that learn by reading. The
<DIV></DIV>> few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the
<DIV></DIV>> electric fence for themselves.
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>