Cob: Ceramic houses...etc.

Jeff S. jlsmeed at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 22 23:27:26 CST 2001

Hi all,

I only get to check my email once a day or sometimes
every other day so, if I'm slow bear with me.  :)   I
live in Washington.  Ben, do I understand right that
you're building some sort of ceramic structure?  Tell,
me more about that.  Is it a sauna?  How are you
firing it?  The way I read about was with a couple of
50 gal drums of kerosene and a gravity fed burner.  It
looked like something you'd have to be pretty rural to
pull off.

OK, Kilns.  I've been looking into it more, and have
found that there is a castable product on the market.
But, then my imagination got sparked.  I know that I
can buy fire clay, kaolin, and lime and got to
wondering about the way to mix them into a useful
substance.  Would something like that be feasable to
use as an additive to a cob mix?  Or maybe adobe mix?
As the bricks do things much easier.

Take care,
Jeff