Cob: Getting started

Amy Walters amy.walters at sru.edu
Sat Feb 24 10:27:58 CST 2001

Hi to natural home builders!
I have a copy of the Cobbers Companion and have been reading the list for a
couple of months and thought it was time to jump in with some beginner's
questions.
I hope to purchase some land and build a "sustainable" cob house/farm in
Northwestern Pennsylvania. If there are any other cob builders in this
general area, I would really like to learn about their ideas and opinions.
At his point, I have decided to hire an architect experienced in this sort
of technique to help me out. Does anyone have suggestions or recommendations
regarding green architects experienced in cob building?
I plan to incorporate solar and wind power and water capture and
conservation into the design. Does anyone have experience with using these
technologies in cob building in this kind of climate?
Unfortunately I am unable to attend this year's Cob Cottage workshops
because of scheduling conflicts.  If there are similar workshops available
during the months of June or August, could someone please call my attention
to them?
Any advice, suggestions, or ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you
Amy