Cob: Cob/light clay hybrid

K. Clouston dognyard at worldgate.com
Tue Apr 17 23:28:18 CDT 2001

Has anyone tried building a cob house building essentially hollow walls
(with cob inside outside, letting them dry/cure, then tamping the hollow
middle with light clay or slip straw? If so, how thick would the cob
walls need to be in order to withstand the tamping of the slip straw?

I'm wondering if this could, in essence speed up the drying/curing time
of the walls. I live in a cold climate with potentially severe winters
and would like to find a workable solution to the problems of
freezing/thawing of uncured cob.

Likewise, has anyone considered building large bricks of slip straw (not
as large as straw bales, storing them until cured, then using those as
infill within cob walls...perhaps in a honeycomb pattern or implementing
a light wood frame construction with slip straw / cob walls?

Karen Clouston,
Alberta