Cob: Cob/light clay hybrid

Roxboro Yurt theyurt at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 18 12:37:58 CDT 2001

This isn't a very scientific answer, but I don't think
this is a very good idea.  Seems like thin hollow
walls would be  more prone to cracking (and cob is so
heavy it needs a thick base to hold up the top) and
any water damage would have much more severe
consequences (if your thin wall washed away anywhere
the whole thing might crumble)

The only way I think this might work is if the cob was
honeycombed so that the two sides were connected in
many places but the straw or light clay could  fill in
the holes.  Also - I don't know if you would actually
want to tamp the straw - air is a good insulator and
the more air between the straw pieces the better