Cob: Re: we're not in Kansas anymore...

Dan Williams-Capone CDWC at srskansas.org
Wed Apr 18 14:56:18 CDT 2001

As a male, who has attended a groundworks workshop in arkansas (where among the attendees were the people organizing the one this year), I want to speak up and say that both Becky and the Arkansas people are great folks.  We learned a lot from and enjoyed our time with Becky and the people working on the project we worked on, which was nearby the current one.

Becky does both women-only and mixed-gender workshops.  One needs to remember that people who host a workshop contract with a workshop presenter.  By and large it is not the presenter but the people who are hosting the workshop who decide what sort of gathering it will be beyond some basic minimal requirements.  There are tons of male-only gatherings in the world (maybe not in the natural building world, but in the world at large).  The workshops I've attended have been close to retreat-like experiences, especially the one down in Arkansas.  There are tons of gender-specific retreats all over, for a variety of reasons.  As a strong believer in personal freedom, I respect the rights and choices of workshop presenters to foster the kind of learning environment they want.