Cob: Cob/light clay hybrid with a foundation question

Dog In The Yard dognyard at worldgate.com
Thu Apr 19 16:29:33 CDT 2001

I really appreciate all the feedback! Thank you to everyone.

I have it mind to try a very small "trial building" of some hybrid or other.
Mostly to play and experiment with what works and doesn't in my regional
climate. I find my head full of ideas and "what ifs". I think that one of the
joys of considering building with one's own hands is the inherent energy it
gives you...both in the thinking stages and in the actual building stages.

This project is for me to learn with. I wish to try either a shallow, frost
protected foundation or a rubble trench...heck...I might even try both, on
alternate sides of the building. If the building remains standing once it is
complete, it will either become a storage shed, or if it's large enough, a horse shelter.

I would like to heat the building, at least at the outset, so see how the heat
works within the building (haven't decided yet how it will be heated, other than
knowing it will be low tech :-)). This leads me to ask questions such as:

1) What hybrid should I chose? Strawbale/cob? Or Cob/Slipstraw? If I want it to
meet local codes, those local codes will demand a version of wood frame
construction...if I go this route I will be "infilling" wood framed walls.

2) How will the heat effect the curing of the cob on the interior walls? Would
it offset (or prevent) the freezing of the exterior of the wall?

3) If I choose to use light clay (or slipstraw), could I finish the exterior
wall, and leave the interior wall unfinished for a time while heating the
building to help the slipstraw cure, then finish the interior later? (My whole
reason for wanting to try slipstraw over the use of whole straw bales is simply
that I want to try it and see how it works.)

Because the building will be a trial (my "mistake building"), I have no
particular time frame I must adhere to, and no real rules I must obey other than
those of nature if I want the building to remain upright :-).

I was also thinking of going ahead and trying a honeycomb type layout of the
cob...I can alway tear it up and start over. I was also thinking of trying the
slipstraw and leaving it exposed on the interior to aid in drying (if I use a
wood frame, that is).

I am excited about the prospect of all these new challenges...trying out the
foundations, earthen floors, various plaster techniques. I'm an avidly curious
individual who likes to try new things and take on new challenges (although I
honestly believe in learning from other people's mistakes). When I die, I hope
to die of curiosity:-).

I do have an additional question regarding foundations...Somewhere in all the
reading I've been doing lately, I understand that it is not such a good thing to
have straw in direct contact with cement foundations because of possible
wicking...but do I understand correctly that stone is ok? I saw  reference
somewhere to using gravel in earth bags (?) along the top of the
foundation...has anyone any experience with this?

Thanks again for all the feedback and ideas.

Karen Clouston
Edmonton, Alberta