Cob: That last little inch

Cob List mummles at island.net
Mon Apr 23 22:43:46 CDT 2001

>>it seems to require several passes to get that last little inch
to be good and tight against the ceiling.<<

Pat:

Having not actually built a structure yet, I am speculating,
but it seems to me that that last little inch could be of
real value to you when cobbing.  I have often thought that
the very best way to do the finishing between the walls and the
roof of a cob house would be to let the cob cure and settle
(perhaps shrink?) before any final coupling to the roof system
is completed. If your roof is supported independently of the
cob walls (sounds like what you are doing) then I should think
that a temporary flashing would be used to stop the gap until
everything figures out where it is going to settle. Should be a
simple job to cobfill that final inch later on.

Tracy