Cob: Solar Power

David & Sheila Knapp solar at aeroinc.net
Fri Apr 27 23:04:48 CDT 2001

We're slipping way off target here and I know this list prefers to stay on-target and focused on Cob, but I'll make one last post on this matter.

It is "possible" to generate 220 volts AC 60 hz by phasing two inverters together (certain models are made for this) such that you simulate 220 volt power just like from the utility.  It is often done in homes requiring a deep well pump where 110 VAC or DC diaphragm pumps isn't sufficient.  Power tools requiring 220 VAC are possible, but we are talking very large home systems.  Generally the bigger loads are needing power infrequently and are more cost effective to be powered with a generator.  Note that power inverters using the European standard are 220 VAC 50 hz.

Many household inverters are 2500 - 5500 watts continuous output in size, all calculated from the size and the amount of appliances in the home.

More info can be searched under: http://groups.yahoo.com/ for solar and other renewable energy topics.  I suggest that as previously mentioned, Home Power Magazine http://www.homepower.com be read cover to cover each month for those contemplating whether to choose renewable energy or not (it can be a bit technical).  In the magazine (can be downloaded for free) you will find adv. for numerous regional renewable energy fairs and shows.  It is well worth the effort to attend one of the fairs closest to you and go to one of the free 90 minute workshops covering numerous topics.  There you can get a little hands-on practice and ask lots of questions.  Just like Cob, renewables are not an "arm-chair" topic and serious hands-on attention must be paid attention to it in order to master it.  It is not rocket science and anyone can learn it and live a cleaner life with it.  When YOU are the power company, ONLY YOU are going to be there when the lights go out and know what to do to get them running again.  We have not been without solar power since 1996 for one minute, but I carefully calculated what I could power with what resources I had and then I monitor the system to make sure we are always running smoothly and not abusing things.  It is not hard, but just like making Cob, you want to do it right and ya'll will have to learn a couple of new terms.  If ya'll thought a Cob work party was very spiritual and loving, you will find energy fairs to be the same way.  Sometimes I feel a little bruised from all of the hugs from my many friends ....  You'll see them all at the energy fairs ... the lost hippies of the 60's to the pocket protector nerds to the homesteaders.  At the end of the day, you'll realize that all of us there are pretty much the same with more or less the same needs. Yes, Cob and solar go so well together!

Dave

David & Sheila Knapp
Winnebago, Illinois
http://www.esolarliving.com/