Cob: Fw: Natural lifestyles/natural homes- gary duncan

David & Sheila Knapp solar at aeroinc.net
Mon Jun 11 22:51:39 CDT 2001

Natural lifestyles/natural homes- gary duncan----- Original Message -----
From: gary duncan
To: Smart Shelter Members AAA
Sent: Monday, June 11, 2001 7:08 PM
Subject: Natural lifestyles/natural homes- gary duncan

³Natural lifestyles/ natural homes² -  Gary Duncan (Smart Shelter Network) Instructor
July 29- Aug 4, 2001- Carbondale Colorado- sponsored by ³Laforet²- Universal Unitarian Group (non-denominational)

³Avoiding train wrecks...getting off the train²
 As millions of Americans reach the breaking burnout point with dead-end jobs, thankless stress and thinning meanings to their lives...new lifestyles are taking shape with the return to natural rhythms, environmental consciousness, inner connection, new careers and simpler living spaces.
 There are hundreds of things any of us can do with the spaces we live in or are about to create to return our surroundings to a more natural harmony.  Changing our spaces with ³the natural ethic² needs to be accompanied with complimentary changes toward a ³natural lifestyle².
 Now we have a whole week to see how.
 The ³Natural Lifestyles/Natural Homes²  workshop will be conducted in a dormitory/ camp setting on the beautiful campus of the Colorado Rocky Mountain School in Carbondale, Colorado at the foot of Mount Sopris and the banks of the Roaring Fork and Crystal Rivers.
 Five sessions during the week will take us not only through the ways we can convert our current houses (or those we might build) to natural homes with materials such as adobe, strawbale, native stone and recycled materials...it will  also explore the simple secrets of lifestyle changes like solar cooking, natural /edible landscaping, women in building careers, non-toxic chemical alternatives, sun energy, Chi energy (in home and body), finding hidden electro-magnetic fields with professional meters, building a real scale model natural home (with piano, beds, chest-of-drawers and coffee tables) from native materials gathered on campus, doing a load of solar laundry, listening to the thankful silence of a solar dishwasher and even discussing the necessity for ³Eco-disobedience²
 We will tour a solar/strawbale building to assess firsthand what has become known as the ³natural building feel²...you¹ll see why.
 We¹ll be finding out:  ³why clothes smell better when washed in a solar laundry²
³Why rice tastes better cooked in a solar oven.² ³Why people who¹ve walked on oiled adobe floors say they feel like a chocolate bar.²  ³Why strawbale homes are so quiet.² and ³Why looking natural doesn¹t mean looking old.²
 The dynamics of the group will center around community/group sharing and decision making...none of us has all the answers...as a group we can have more fun. We¹ll be talking about these things, but most of the week will be spent doing  them
 Gary Duncan (Instructor) is founder of the Smart Shelter Network for Natural Building in Western Colorado.  He is a seasoned professional builder and designer and national lecturer on natural lifestyles.
 Laforet is a week-long camp event with several activities, entertainment and recreation opportunities in addition to the workshops.  It accommodates family or single participants equally well. Parallel programs are available to children and adolescents at the camp.  Accommodations are in a rustic (but not primitive) dormitory.  Meals are included.  Complete registration fees are under $500 for the week.
 For information on registration contact Sue Bozinovski (303) 797-1170 <sueboz at IN2L.com> or log onto www.camplaforet.org.
 For workshop specific information contact Gary Duncan (970) 249-2396
<gd at smartshelter.com>  Information about Smart Shelter is available at
www.smartshelter.com
-------------- next part --------------
<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Natural lifestyles/natural homes- gary duncan</TITLE>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV>----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial">
<DIV style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; font-color: black"><B>From:</B> <A
title=gd at smartshelter.com href="mailto:gd at smartshelter.com">gary duncan</A>
</DIV>
<DIV><B>To:</B> <A title=gd at smartshelter.com
href="mailto:gd at smartshelter.com">Smart Shelter Members AAA</A> </DIV>
<DIV><B>Sent:</B> Monday, June 11, 2001 7:08 PM</DIV>
<DIV><B>Subject:</B> Natural lifestyles/natural homes- gary duncan</DIV></DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV><B><I>³Natural lifestyles/ natural homes² </I></B>-  Gary
Duncan (Smart Shelter Network) Instructor<BR>July 29- Aug 4, 2001- Carbondale
Colorado- sponsored by ³Laforet²- Universal Unitarian Group
(non-denominational)<BR><BR><B><I>³Avoiding train wrecks...getting off the
train²</I></B><I>  <BR></I> As millions of Americans reach the
breaking burnout point with dead-end jobs, thankless stress and thinning
meanings to their lives...new lifestyles are taking shape with the return to
natural rhythms, environmental consciousness, inner connection, new careers and
simpler living spaces.<BR> There are hundreds of things any of us can do
with the spaces we live in or are about to create to return our surroundings to
a more natural harmony.  Changing our spaces with ³the natural ethic² needs
to be accompanied with complimentary changes toward a ³natural
lifestyle².<BR> Now we have a whole week to see how.<BR> The<B><I>
³Natural Lifestyles/Natural Homes²</I></B>  workshop will be conducted in a
dormitory/ camp setting on the beautiful campus of the Colorado Rocky Mountain
School in Carbondale, Colorado at the foot of Mount Sopris and the banks of the
Roaring Fork and Crystal Rivers.<BR> Five sessions during the week will
take us not only through the ways we can convert our current houses (or those we
might build) to natural homes with materials such as adobe, strawbale, native
stone and recycled materials...it will  also explore the simple secrets of
lifestyle changes like solar cooking, natural /edible landscaping, women in
building careers, non-toxic chemical alternatives, sun energy, Chi energy (in
home and body), finding hidden electro-magnetic fields with professional meters,
building a real scale model natural home (with piano, beds, chest-of-drawers and
coffee tables) from native materials gathered on campus, doing a load of solar
laundry, listening to the thankful silence of a solar dishwasher and even
discussing the necessity for ³Eco-disobedience²<BR> We will tour a
solar/strawbale building to assess firsthand what has become known as the
³natural building feel²...you¹ll see why.<BR> We¹ll be finding out:
 ³why clothes smell better when washed in a solar laundry²<BR>³Why rice
tastes better cooked in a solar oven.² ³Why people who¹ve walked on oiled adobe
floors say they feel like a chocolate bar.²  ³Why strawbale homes are so
quiet.² and ³Why looking natural doesn¹t mean looking old.²<BR> The
dynamics of the group will center around community/group sharing and decision
making...none of us has all the answers...as a group we can have more fun. We¹ll
be talking about these things, but most of the week will be spent
<B><I><U>doing</U></I></B>  them<BR> Gary Duncan (Instructor) is
founder of the Smart Shelter Network for Natural Building in Western Colorado.
 He is a seasoned professional builder and designer and national lecturer
on natural lifestyles.<BR> Laforet is a week-long camp event with several
activities, entertainment and recreation opportunities in addition to the
workshops.  It accommodates family or single participants equally well.
Parallel programs are available to children and adolescents at the camp.
 Accommodations are in a rustic (but not primitive) dormitory.  Meals
are included.  Complete registration fees are under $500 for the
week.<BR> <B><I>For information on registration contact Sue Bozinovski
(303) 797-1170 <sueboz at IN2L.com> or log onto
<U>www.camplaforet.org</U>.<BR></I></B> <I>For workshop specific
information contact Gary Duncan (970) 249-2396<BR><gd at smartshelter.com>
 Information about Smart Shelter is available at
<BR><U>www.smartshelter.com</U></I> </BODY></HTML>