Cob: Re: greenhouse start

storm storm at ctelco.net
Mon Jul 9 15:01:50 CDT 2001

Hey Layth, the two walls, 6 inches (15cm) with a gap, probably like 4 inches (10cm). Those walls would have a taper too don't forget, like they might start at 8 inches and taper to 5. The gap would probably remain at 4 inches the whole way. I don't know why we don't envision putting straw in there. I'm just thinking of the Sante Fe style adobe practice of a thick wall with a gap-- this practice goes beyond Sante Fe to be sure, thinking of stone houses in New England-- probably comes from the Old World too... and I'm just thinking straw was probably not put in the split of these structures? This practice has been developed no doubt because of the need to stop the radical heat loss in a solid wall of stone or earth. Our thicknesses have to do with splitting up what would otherwise have been a solid wall, in our small greenhouse, say a wall that would have tapered from 14 inches at the bottom to 9 or 10 at the top. A thicker profile will always be a benefit, curvilinear not rectilinear-- for seismic protection, so... we weigh all these things, and make a good guess.

The split walls will need as many objects (wood?) tying them together as possible to create strength. We have this plan to have those sticks protrude out of the outside of the structure to hold drying racks for those plants and herbs that need to be dried. Those will be under a large roof overhang. Where we don't want or need the drying racks, the sticks tying the walls together will not stick out, but be concealed lie 'dead-men' logs in the wall. As far as putting straw in the crack, I don't see anything stopping a person from that, seems like a good idea. Hmm.. well, I guess I don't think I'll do it, I'm water paranoid and see straw in there as an attractant for water and retaining it somewhat, like a dessicant, something you don't want. But... just my own thoughts, they may not hold true.

Windows? For an unattacthed greenhouse...the south wall will be a window-wall, probably will employ that plastic material everyone seems to use around here, translucent instead of clear. The sun is very intense up here at 8,000 ft. (2,500m?). No need for windows on any other walls, but for small peep holes, decorative windows, etc. My big concern for a cob greenhouse is the inherent problems with water and cob. We plan to have beds right up against the walls, but with a scrap sheet of EPDM tacked up onto the cob, keeping it dry. It would probably be better to have raised beds in the interior of the structure if one could afford that with space considerations.

The important thing Layth. None of this is rocket science. Nor should it be. We take the info we have and make good guesses. We can tell ourselves the truth-- but I hesitate before being that open with for example, code officials. Some of those guys can handle the fluid cold truth, others really can't, be cautious! Steve