Cob: Re: greenhouse start

drhelp drhelp at home.com
Tue Jun 12 22:43:51 CDT 2001

Hi there. Do you have photos to show? And what, exactly is the mix you put into the cement mixer? Would you tell the approximate proportions of ingredients, and also how long the cement mixer has to mix to get the consistency for the cob?
Do you plan on putting insulation between the two cob walls?

Will the sticks be a fire hazard? How thick and what kind and are they fully dried? Will they shrink and cause problems? Your methods sound so efficient, in comparison with jumping around on muck/straw on tarpaulins...how come nobody's thought of this? Seems brill.

Can you give more details, and if you scan photos in it will really help for those  of us who are researching but haven't done any of this yet. I'm about to start a cob wall...short, on one of my property boundaries. If I put soil right up against it, once it's cured, will the dampness of the soil cause the wall to reduce to muck?

The wall, then, would delineate that boundary (neighbours are touchy about "encroachment") and serve to contain soil for garden on the sloped side of my property...IF the cob wil ldo that. The wall will be only about 3 feet high. Diana in Victoria