Cob: Re: Re: greenhouse start

storm storm at ctelco.net
Sun Jun 17 15:35:11 CDT 2001

Our greenhouse startup, we don't have any photos yet, but hopefully soon. As to the mixture that I have been using, its hard to pass on the recipe, for we all have different ingredients in different parts of the country, but basically the mixture has about 20-25% clay to 60% sand and then a generous amount of straw and water. With a mixer I tend to keep the mix fairly wet, almost like a plaster. I make some large mixes in the morning and the cob can sit all day, until your ready to put it on a wall. The reasoning behind this that its easier on the mixer to have more water, otherwise it can get gummed up and unbalance the unit.  For the same reason I first fill the mixer with water, then clay, let it mix for about 5 minutes, then I add my soil (or soils), and lastly i shake in the straw.  After I  unload the wet cob onto a large board I may stomp in even more straw depending on the wetness and density of the mix. Yes it is more efficient, but its alot noisier too. I try to make a large amount of cob at once i.e. 4-8 wheelbarrows full.  Then I can build in peace.
    As to soil against a cob wall, I would not recommend it. You might try a dry stack rock wall a foot high and then add cob on top of that. If you don't fully trust your masonry skills, add some mortar. Your cob needs to be off the ground, between 12-24" depending on severity of rainfall and snow. I hope this helps, sincerely Anikke

Anikke's been making it mostly, we just got a large fancy plaster mixer (Crown, spiral paddles, model S10S) to mix cob and plasters-- hopefully like alot. The mixes want to be a little wet, but stomping in straw is easy-- also a good idea because the mixer does break the long straw fibers down some.

I don't think we'll put straw into the crevasse between the two cob walls. The sticks holding the two walls together will for sure be as dry as possible-- yes shrinking goes about 12: 1. Using a green log or stick, say a twelve inch in diameter log round for a cord-wood/cob wall, if it's green it will shrink about an inch in diameter. 12 to 11. Definitely a bad idea I'd think. I had in mind splitting any dry log round into sticks strong enough to hold a shelf on one side if it sticks out a foot or two, maybe for kids to monkey on. I think any wood would do. Fire hazard? Yeah, and the wood roof eves. This being an unattatched outbuilding I'm willing to put up with a little more risk I guess, like the sticks poking out of the wall everywhere holding wooden drying racks, sometimes with nice dry herbs and such. BUT, this is cob and those cob walls will not burn even if everything else does, better than most buildings I'd say. For the roof eves, I don't know what else to make a nice overhang with besides wood. If anyone solves that problem without going to steel or something industrial that would probably save many a home.

As far as efficiency goes-- always remember there's nothing more efficient than doing it without petro-chemicals and the whole thing. We have made a serious decision in compromising the right way to do things with the use of our big tool in hopes to effect a transitional paradigm only. Everyone must think there way through these troubled times.

For your wall with garden soil piled up against it-- you could try it with the knowledge it may fail. Otherwise try perhaps a water impermeable layer bewtween the soil and dry cob wall? A dry stack of bricks, or sticks verticly and then a layer of thick plastic or EPDM (rubber pond liner) to create a ventilation gap between the cob and the impermeable layer? I think in our greenhouse we'll use EPDM either right up against the cob or with a small gap there somehow. The epdm should only have to be up against the walls and not on the ground. We have a sandy soil that carries water away and down well. We'll probably make a large pool with rock and cob lined with epdm for a cistern inside the greenhouse.

Progress has been slowed, we're off to Telluride for the bluegrass fest. See you in a couple of weeks! Steve