Cob: Cob and Adobe and cob plans....

LuceLoosey at aol.com LuceLoosey at aol.com
Sun Jul 15 09:44:22 CDT 2001

<< We also have a family (5) so have designed 3 more or less separate sections
 of 575 sq feet. We had planned on adobe, but alas, our present house has a
 buyer and we've got to be out in 5 weeks, so it's concrete blocks and wood
 framing on this first section so we have something we can get into
 immediately. >>
I agree with what was said on adobe, a grate thing, but not really necessary
w/cob, and will take a lot longer to build... since cob has its own strength.
 In Becky's book it says that you can imbed the second story logs (and the
stairs, but not safe for children), into the wall itself, so you're left
w/something to build the flooring on...

I plan on building a yurt and living in that while i build my cob.  I'm
really torn on the concrete issue, its so easy, but concrete is bad for the
environment, as it leaches out and it doesn't break down quickly enough (for
after I'm dead and gone, i'd like my home to return to its natural state).
I've even considered paper crete, but w/the water proofing needed, and the
concrete base, I think I'll pass on that.  I may just go for the earthen
floor with tiles inlayed and rugs... (up of course, to avoid moisture
problems), and a non-mortared rock foundation.

I have a book that teaches how to build a yurt,   AFter its built, it goes up
w/4 folks in a few hours... you can make them from 12' to 30', depending on
your needs.  All you need is a few carpentry skills (simple ones) and a
sewing machine and you're all set.

I've planned on a large cob home.  Possibly as large as 2000 sq ft, it has 4
bedrooms.  Its a series of circles... one large one in the center and 4
smaller ones, making up 4 sides of a rectangle, all coming off the center
circle.  I'm partial to earthen/living roofs, so first I'll build a large
enough roof to enclose the ENTIRE home, then build the center circle.  This
circle houses the living room/dining room/kitchen/and two bathrooms.  After
the center circle is complete I'll live in it for a while, focus on some
gardening issues and getting the interior together (plumbing etc), I'll
sleepin the dining room for a while.

Then maybe a year later or two, I"ll be building each smaller circle one at a
thyme... eventually winding up w/4 bedrooms.

I think I'm just gonna head right into it to.  Just like the olden days...
figure it out on my own.  I would recommend to the girl that doesnt have
money for the workshop (I don't intend on taking a class anyway, I don't
htink)... just get out there!  Get some sand, and some straw and build a dog
house or a simple wall... fuss around with it a bit...

~Cat