Cob: stucco question

jamie.ayres at m2.com jamie.ayres at m2.com
Thu Aug 2 11:05:41 CDT 2001

One thing I've seen on a few houses in rainy England is the use of slate.
It's not cheap but it is flat and very weather resistant.Looks good too!

You could also use a coating of a tar paint (like in Old Minehead and
other picturesque English towns).

My worry with the stucco would be that the mud plaster on the outside wall
will expand and contract faster or slower than the stucco at the bottom
and you'd end up with a ridge  between stucco and mud plaster. That would
probably act as a moisture trap even worse than simply allowing the bottom
of the wall to get wet (surface wet) and dry off naturally.  Also the
stucco will heat up and cool at a different rate to the mud which will
attract condensation... possibly inside the wall if a gap forms.

The tar paint appears to be the most popular method used over here in
coastal towns where the rain gets rather heavy and persistant!  It might
look quite nice as well :o)

btw, indirect splashes at the bottom of the wall is to be expected. It
shouldn't actually cause dampness inside the house because it'll simply
dry off and not soak in (it's not being soaked directly from the rainfall)
but it'll require more maintenance to stop the wall eroding over time.

HTH
Jay

Jamie Ayres / M2 Communications Ltd / http://www.m2.com
Any views expressed in this e-mail are not necessarily the same as those
of my employer.

Roxboro Yurt <theyurt at yahoo.com>
Sent by: owner-coblist at deatech.com
07/30/01 03:35 PM