Cob: stucco question & malcolm X

LuceLoosey at aol.com LuceLoosey at aol.com
Tue Aug 7 13:43:17 CDT 2001

jamie.ayres at m2.com writes:

<< I'm guessing that you'd have to be careful with the lime mortar that
 you used to hold this stonework together in order to ensure the wall is
 strong enough to bear the weight of the house on top of it? >>

Actually I've read that if the stones are stacked properly (facing inward and
not outward) that they can bear the weight of a very heavy structure
(including cob) without mortar altogether.  I'd check out a good book on
stone stacking (masonry).

Also, I'm happy to report that I visited the cob greenhouse in Berkeley at
Malcolm X Elementary School this past weekend.  Now that I've seen how it
works and what it looks like, I realize how do-able it really is.  Their's
had wood upright supports (I assume to hold up the glass roof?), some built
in metal shelves, and a few small animals molded onto the outside.  Very cute
& productive!  Awesome garden, too!

I can't wait to build my first structure! :)
~Cat