Cob: stucco question?

Mike Wye mike at mikewye.co.uk
Thu Aug 16 15:35:14 CDT 2001

Jay,
You start by saying "bearing all of this in mind" but your comments don't
suggest this.
< Correctly constructed dry stone walling may be strong enough
< relatively safe dry stone construction
I've never come across a dry stone wall that has been used as the foundation
or a plinth for a cob house. The foundations ( if any) and stone plinth were
always bedded in an earth or lime mortar or sometimes a mix of the two. Yet
the fields were often marked out with dry stone walls so these techniques
were well known but the people building cob houses in the last five
centuries didn't chose to use them for their homes. This could be a clue.
Pointing a wall with lime mortar doesn't stop water ingress - most stone
types are porous and will absorb rain water as will a lime mortar. The
foundations and stone plinth are also subject to rising moisture due to the
solid wall construction, if the water table is sufficiently high - it
certainly is in the most of the south west of England.
Failures in dry stone walling aren't devastating if their field boundaries.
The effects of failure would be more damaging if they were supporting your
home.
Mike

Mike Wye & Associates,
Traditional & Ecological Building Products
www.mikewye.co.uk
01409-281644
sales at mikewye.co.uk