Cob: International Straw Bale Registry is now online

billc_lists at greenbuilder.com billc_lists at greenbuilder.com
Sat Aug 18 10:39:49 CDT 2001

(apologies for crossposting)

Hi Folks,

Do you own or have you designed or built a straw bale structure?

Greenbuilder.com, The Last Straw Journal and The Straw Bale
Association of Texas are working together to build a database of
buildings constructed using straw bale.

Among the many purposes of the International Straw Bale Registry are:

    *Tracking where the publicly viewable straw bale structures are,
so that we all can more easily answer that most common newbie
question: "Where can I see one?"  (note: there are options that allow
you to list non-visitable structures and maintain your privacy as
well, so we can count them in the totals.)

   *Getting actual numbers on how many SB buildings are really out there.

   *Getting info on what companies have granted mortgages and have
insured straw bale buildings

   *Getting feedback on the problems encountered in building SB

   *Prepare for future research and testing on SB lifespan

   *Influence skeptical government officials

All this, while protecting the privacy of those who wish to remain
anonymous, yet still want to make a difference and be counted in the
aggregate numbers.

Now We Need Your Assistance

In order for the Registry to be worth anything, we need to get the
word out, and we need to get as many strawbale structures listed as
possible.   The sooner the better.

In fact, if you're in the process of building now, you could list
your SB as "open to drop-in visitors" or "open by appointment", and
maybe get yourself some free help.  ;-)

By the way, you're welcome to list other structures beside homes -
doghouses, garden walls, sheds, commercial buildings,  whatever.
Especially if you're open to visitors.

Ok, now that you're all psyched about it, go to
http://sbregistry.greenbuilder.com and start loading our database. As
of this writing, there are only a handful of structures listed.
Please let your straw baling friends know about the registry, and
encourage them to list their structure(s).

Let me know if you have any questions, comments, or suggestions.
--
Bill Christensen
billc at greenbuilder.com

Green Homes For Sale/Lease:  http://www.greenbuilder.com/realestate/