Cob: Re: Wood instead of Straw?

Howard Switzer ecoarchitech at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 25 13:31:55 CDT 2001

Please consider this everyone,

I hope we are all careful to be building strong structures in the interest of safety.

The basic strength of a structure requires, as I understand it, compressive strength and tensile strength and of course sheer strength. Foundations for instance depend heavily on compressive strength while roof systems rely heavily on tensile strength. Vertical elements such as columns and walls must strike a balance between the two.

A rock, being rather hard to mash, is easily discernable as something solid to stand on. However, if we want a column or wall we must either carve it or stack it with great care so that it won't fall over and mash us.

A tree does very well demonstrating that wood is structurally suitable for posts and beams with its long strong fibers standing and reaching out for breezes to give them exercise.  Imagine too the grasses standing and blowing in the wind.

Earthen walls should have long strong  fibers for good tensile strength and rock solid aggregates for compressive strength.  Grasses and gravels are generally easy choices. Sawdust and wood chips are long fibers chopped into short fibers. The beauty of wood is how its fibers hang so solidly together.  But we do have many uses for short fibers in strengthening finishes and thermal properties.

howard switzer
ecoville architechs