Cob: re: Wood instead of Straw?

janell kapoor janellv at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 4 14:56:03 CDT 2001

howdy,
at 'build here now 2001' a man named mick from estonia said they have a
tradition in his homeland of using woodchips, wood shavings and cattail
fluff mixed with clay slip then tamped between removable forms. this is
quite different than cob, though similar to 'strawclay' using wood rather
than straw.
i recall him mentioning that a varitey of chip & shaving size is ideal. i
think throwing some long strong straw in would also help make it an even
stronger interlocked wall. you can also build a wall cavity and fill it in
with the same wood chip/clay slip mixture.
i got the impression that this is an old way of building in estonia with
pretty good insulative value, i'd guess similar to strawclay though i don't
know for sure.
please note: strawclay is a different technique than cob. usually used to
build straight higher insulation walls... a nice compliment to southside cob
walls which are mainly mass. strawclay walls also tend to go up more quickly
though you lose the sculptability of cob.
also note: these walls are NOT load-bearing.
some folks at the forestry cooperative at earthaven ecovillage have plans to
build like this because they have a lot of scrap wood. right now they are
just waiting on a proper chipper.
if you have questions about strawclay construction you can email me at
janell at kleiwerks.com.
good luck and let us know how it goes,
janell

Janell Kapoor