Cob: Cob, Fiber/Clay &CLay Wall paint

Charmaine R Taylor tms at northcoast.com
Thu Sep 6 16:15:22 CDT 2001

Steve the 2.8 is not verified lab results, but an estimate, and more
clay will mean less R...not more. But I think the overall result will be
good tho! keep experimenting...

I wanted to forward this info I sent on a Clay Painted wall I did in my
house.
you can also see a picture right at my www.dirtcheapbuilder.com site in
the button "Clay paint"- with a full write up on HOW to

"....the clay paint was free free free..my favorite.

I mixed the mud with lime water about a quart of
limewater  ( this is water at the top of a lime drum where hydrated
lime
is soaking) with 1 cup of soft clay, shook it real
hard, added a tsp of salt and strained it twice
through a sieve with cheesecloth to pull any sand and bits
out. It took 2 quarts approx to do both large walls, plus over and
under
cabinets and over doorway. I need about  1 cup more to finsh the
stove
surround. But That area will get a 1/4" cement board tiled in a
custom
pattern with lime mortar tinted the apricot color, and the whole
thing
bolted to the wall;  cause of all the steam and splatter in a stove
area. The sink backsplash will get a tiled board also. I learned
from a
friend many years ago that you do NOT affix tile direct to the
wall, it
needs some flex, so a 1/4" thin cement board or other  matreial is
best,
then it is removable too.

The walls must be absorbent, not painted with
latex or  it won't stick..makes sense eh?

I used a sloppy old brush-cheap, 3" wide. and just
painted as normal, then after 30-60 seconds I
swirled the clay wall with a big stipple brush, but I
have read of a sheepskin being used to dip into the
paint and use as both tools.  I plan to use a basic
paste wax over the walls on traffic areas.  ANd no it
does not rub off to the touch, but a moist or wet
hand touching them will come off a little.  I read a
lot of Carol Crews articles,(Gourmet Adobe)  SHe paints with clay
in NM
on adobe
churches and her home, and teaches. But clay painting
is done all the time in cob and SB building as the finish work.

 I have free articles on
limewash at my older website:
http://www.northcoast.com/~tms/wash.html

hope this helps, this waas a NEW project for me too, so I am still
learning..will try a cooked wheat paste mix, with clay slip put on
with
sheepskin next.

Charmaine Taylor
www.dirtcheapbuilder.com