Cob: Lime wash

Carl Bauer carl.bauer at info.bw
Thu Oct 4 05:20:11 CDT 2001

I have been experimenting with oxide pigmented lime washes and have read
that dark colours with a lime wash don't work. I tried stabilising my lime
wash with a bit of cement (about 4 lime to 1 cement) and then adding the
oxide. It seems to work as the cement itself darkens the wash anyway. In
fact it makes a much less see through mix so I guess it won't need as many
coats either. I also mixed a little bit of linseed oil in for water
resistance on the external walls. Has anyone tried anything along these
lines and has anyone got any good advice?

On the internal walls I want to use a plain or lightly pigmented lime wash.
I have done a sample and it is a bit dusty (like a poor quality undercoat).
Any way of improving this? I am using powdered lime as it is the only form
of lime available to me here.

Carl Bauer