Cob: Re: Lime wash

Mike Wye mike at mikewye.co.uk
Thu Oct 4 08:15:58 CDT 2001

Dear Carl,
There's no problem with dark colours with limewash - see our limewash chart
at www.mikewye.co.uk/chart.htm for proof
You don't need to "stabilise" limewash with cement - it defeats the object
of a breathable paint.
If you make limewash from 50/50 lime putty/water and 0.5% raw linseed oil it
will paint to a suitable consistency - you need 3 -4 coats but each coat
will be mor opaque as you paint.
Limewash dusting occurs when
1. the backgorund isn't porous enough - ideally it should be lime plaster
2. you don't moisten the wall an hour before limewashing
3. you let the limewash dry too quickly
4. you use a low calcium lime hydrate powder rather than a high calcium lime
putty as your source
We have a detailed limewash guidesheet at
www.mikewye.co.uk/mikelimewashing.htm if you want more help
hope this helps,
Mike Wye & Associates,
Traditional & Ecological Building Products
www.mikewye.co.uk
01409-281644
sales at mikewye.co.uk