Cob: cement mixer, was sandy soil

Patrick Newberry PNewberry at HFHI.org
Thu Oct 4 07:35:21 CDT 2001

I've experimented with a cement mixer before. It mixes the earth and
water quite well,
but is useless for mixing the straw. What I've done, if I have a few
people around, is
to get one crew mixing mud only, placing the mud in a large childs
swimming pool, then I mix
the straw by hand as I go. That works pretty good.

Gennerally I work alone, so don't botther with them mixer, and just mix
the mud in a wheel
barrel and then mix the straw as I go.

Pat
(in Mauk)

http://www.gnat.net/~goshawk

-----Original Message-----
From: Scot Robinson [mailto:wabbit_94 at yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 04, 2001 7:50 AM
To: Sbay; coblist at deatech.com
Subject: Re: Cob: sandy soil

Sara,

I am really curious as to how the cement mixer works,
if you use it.  I am going to start building a cob
home in the spring and thought of using a mixer to
help speed up the process slightly.  Please let me
know how it works out.

Does anyone else have experience with a mixer?  Does
it work well?

Scot