Cob: RE: I'm new and adequately poor

Patrick Newberry PNewberry at HFHI.org
Thu Oct 4 13:33:31 CDT 2001

mmm adequately poor, interesting phrase.

(some replies that popped in my head as I read your email...)... sorry I
did not match them up.

Yes Cob walls can "adequately" hold up a roof, my earth dome has a
ferro-cement cap(the wall part
is earth, the top part of the dome / roof / is ferro-cement. E.G. Heavy.
So far holding strong.

I've been working 3 years on my cob house, but only work weekends, as I
feel like and when family,
natural and other disasters are not overwhelming me.

Yes it could have been done a long time ago, if that is all I did.

You don't need forms for cob.

I've been told the R-value is about 1 per inch for cob.

I was able to get a permit when I first started.

They have since changed the laws, Not sure if I could get a permit now.
(and they call that progress!)
I'd be too nervous to ask.

My other friends...in undisclosed locations.... build without permits
because they
are off the grid and live in rural areas.

Pat.
http://www.gnat.net/~goshawk